Sunday, March 26, 2017

And so it begins...

A few years ago my boss asked me to give an estimated retirement date, "for succession planning".  I was told it was not a hard and fast date, just an estimate, and it could be changed at any time.  In fact, they asked for an update every year after that first approximation.

I really wasn't sure what to say, so I asked my husband what he thought.  He came up with March, 2017, to correspond with the end of my company's fiscal year.  Well, that was actually a couple of years earlier than I had been thinking, but I figured, why not?

Now, surprise!  It is March, 2017 and I am retiring this week.

People ask, "What are you going to do when you retire?"

And I fumble with an answer, "Umm, whatever I want to?"

That time of life I looked forward to with such excitement is suddenly causing me unexpected anxiety...

What am I going to do with this next phase of my life?

I don't have a hobby I have been itching to spend more time on...

I am not like my friend Steve who is retiring early like me and looks forward to spending more time on some of his hobbies:  woodworking, refurbishing old cars, and puttering in the yard.

I am not like his wife Dena who already has a list of what she wants to do - despite the fact that she has nine more months to go.

I am not a master gardener like our friend Joyce who retired and started her own greenhouse.

I am a dabbler. 

I have scarves and dishtowels I was going to use for a pillow making project that are still sitting on a shelf in the storage room.  I have empty wine bottles, googley eyes, gauze, and paint I was going to use for a Halloween craft project - that I never found the time to do.  I have hundreds of pictures, decorative paper, and memorabilia to make a tribute scrapbook to our often missed pup, Ellie, who passed away almost two years ago. 

Everything still sitting in a box on a shelf. 

I dreamed of painting watercolors and bought paint, paper and brushes - as yet unused.  I once designed greeting cards - had the paper, stamps, and other doo-dads - but packed it all away when we moved from Minnesota to Colorado and never took it back out of the moving box. 

I have bins of "stuff" in a storage closet that needs to be gone through.

So, I did what I always do when I need an answer - I began researching what other people do to keep busy when they retire.

The best advise I saw was to look at those things you loved to do as a child, a teenager, a college student, a young adult.  What brought me joy?

Interesting...

When I was a young girl I learned to sew - and loved it.  I made many of my clothes when I was in high school.  Based on that insight, I think I will finish the pillow project when I retire.  I might try to make a quilt (maybe even go to the women's quilting group at church.)

I also liked to draw and paint as a young girl.  I used to copy those "Can you draw this?" pictures that were on the back of my mom's Reader's Digest.  I loved art class in Junior High but, regrettably, did not follow that interest into High School.  So, I think I will try my hand at water color again.  Or start sketching.  Maybe I'll find that box of greeting card supplies...

I always loved to write and saw myself in some sort of writing profession when I grew up.  Well, that never happened - but I did start a blog when I was laid up for a few months because of my burst appendix.  Maybe now is the time to get back to writing - even if it is only a blog that my friends and family read.  Or, maybe, I could try writing some articles for our church newsletter or website.  Heck, I could even take a writing class if I wanted.

I remember working in my mom's vegetable garden when I was young, and while I never liked the weeding, I did like the sense of accomplishment I got from helping.  And, I do like pretty flowers.  And, I like working outside.  So, I think updating our yard - as in, replace the dead flowers and bushes - will be a good retirement job for me to try.  (As I told my husband - trying things does not mean I have to be good at them!)

This is getting to be kind of fun...

I was always fascinated by my family history and wish I would have paid more attention to the stories my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles used to tell.  Maybe I will research a family tree? Or design a family recipe book, with recipes, stories and family photos provided by my cousins - similar to the one I made my daughter for her wedding.

I have never been a very athletic person, but I did like to run when I was in my early twenties.  I even ran track one year in Junior High.  I always wanted to run a 5K - but never committed to the training.  Now may be the perfect opportunity.

I also discovered hiking and long walks when we moved out to Colorado.  (Heck, I enjoyed walking our dog back in Minnesota  - same thing, right?)  I'd like to hike local trails - maybe one a week, maybe more - especially if I can get a hiking partner.  (Hint, hint to my hubby.)

I enjoy traveling - and that is something my husband and I already have on our mutual bucket list.

And, I haven't even mentioned trying yoga, cooking, baking, learning a language, learning to play an instrument, volunteering, reading, doing puzzles, trying pottery, spending time with family and friends, hosting parties, going to a film festival, learning to golf, taking bike rides, going on road trips and everything else I have not yet thought of...

Instead of stressing about what I will do to fill my time, I now wonder how I will ever have the time to do everything.

Wow - retirement just might be fun!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelation

I just finished the last book of the Bible. I think I need the help of someone wiser than me to interpret John’s dream, or prophecy, or warn...