Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Letting Go...

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?
I don't remember growing older
When did they?

From the musical: "Fiddler On the Roof"
Songwriters Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick

Yesterday I brought my beautiful newborn baby girl home from the hospital.

Yesterday I spent fun filled days exploring the world with my curious toddler.

Yesterday I cried a little as my excited five year old got on the bus for her first day of school.

Yesterday I cheered on my daughter as she learned the joys and disappointments of participating in team sports.

Yesterday I celebrated with her as she became a newly licensed driver ...and supported her when she got in her first car accident.

Yesterday I counseled her as she tried to understand why life doesn't always go as planned and why some friendships suddenly change.

Yesterday she graduated from high school and I said farewell (shedding a few more tears) as she left for her summer job in Northern Minnesota and I moved to Colorado.

Yesterday I watched my daughter grow from an insecure teen to an enthusiastic, confident college student (with a real talent for writing).

Yesterday I wept a little as I watched my twenty-one year old daughter leave for the airport to start a new summer adventure backpacking in Europe.

Wow...where did the time go?

While I am a little nervous about Kaitlyn's newest adventure - I am also excited for her (and maybe even a little jealous - who wouldn't want to be a twenty something back packing around Europe).  I can't wait to hear about her travels and thanks to the world we live in, will not have to hope for a letter or her return home to keep in contact.  Email, Viber, Facebook, Blogging...I know she will keep us updated when she can.

I want her to be independent, adventurous, and joyful.  I want her to make good choices, listen to her travel mate "Bear" (the planner and responsible one), and celebrate all her life has to offer.  I want her to travel safely, meet new people, and try new things. 

I am confident we raised her well - and it is time to spread her wings and have the trip of a lifetime.  Will I be happy when she is safely home?  Of course.   Do I wish she never got on that plane?  Absolutely not.   

Enjoy your adventure Kaitlyn...explore new sites, immerse yourself in the culture, and dance with monks whenever you can!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelation

I just finished the last book of the Bible. I think I need the help of someone wiser than me to interpret John’s dream, or prophecy, or warn...