Monday, July 7, 2014

My Constant Companion...

I remember when the topic first came up. 

Kaitlyn was twelve and really wanted a puppy.  I had grown up with a dog and thought, why not?  Lance was not as enthusiastic (he knew who's dog this would end up being in the long run) so he gave Kaitlyn a challenge to master before he would say yes.  To Kaitlyn's credit, she worked hard and earned the privilege to bring a new canine member into our family. 

The first full day Ellie spent with us, I took off because (guilt filled admission) I wanted her to bond with me.  Even though she was technically Kaitlyn's dog, I wanted her to be my dog.

Well, it worked.  I am not sure if Ellie became my dog because I spent the first full day with her, or because I fed her, kept her water dish full, took her for walks, and picked her up to cuddle on a frequent basis. 

I don't want to give the impression that Ellie does not love the rest of my family or that they do not reciprocate that love.  Kaitlyn also took Ellie for walks, fed her when I couldn't and still dog-sits when we need the assistance.  And Ellie is always happy to see Kaitlyn.  As for Lance, well, he grumbled about getting a dog, but Ellie has him wrapped around her little paw.  He takes her for a morning walk, feeds her when I can't, and plays "find the bone" with her (a silly little game Ellie made up - who is in charge here anyway?)

We have been through a lot with our furry little family member.

At just a few years old Ellie was diagnosed with a kidney infection and almost died.  I remember Lance and I had her sleep in bed between us while we listened to her labored breathing, comforted her with our loving touch, and prayed for the meds to kick in and for her complete recovery.  Ellie came through with flying colors, but because of this incident, we discovered she had stones in her bladder and a tendency to continue to form more.  Ellie was put on a special (nasty tasting) food to dissolve the stones.  It worked, and now she is on a maintenance diet (which apparently tastes much better) and has not had any more reoccurrences.

When we decided to move our family to Colorado, Ellie happily came with.

After about a year in Colorado, we learned Ellie had diabetes.  So, now she endures two insulin injections a day.  Fortunately, she did not lose her sight (a common side affect that often occurs in the first year of diagnosis of canine diabetes.)  And has been relatively healthy since.

While we have gladly taken care of Ellie throughout the years - I didn't realize just how much she would take care of me when I needed her most.

Since I have been home recovering from my surgery, Ellie has been more than just a pet.  She is my constant companion.  Ellie has this uncanny sense of how I am feeling, how much activity I can handle, and never leaves my side. 

When I first came home with a tube sticking out of my abdomen Ellie spent all her time following me around.  She napped with me, she shuffled from room to room with me - but never tried to be picked up and she never jumped on my lap.  She was very cautious and protective.

As my recovery progressed and I began to feel a little better she still was always at my side, but now would bring me a toy to toss if she thought I was up to it or lay on the couch with her back resting against me, providing the assurance that she was there if I needed her.  As I started to feel a little more mobile I began to feed her and once again give the dreaded insulin shot.  Whereas she would start to run off at shot time in the past, now she sees me coming and stands perfectly still - no games on her part.  (I am guessing that will change when she thinks I am fully recovered!)

My tube is gone now and I am changing out the bandages on my incision area twice a day.  Ellie seems to know this means I can do more, but am still not back to normal.  We have started to take walks around the neighborhood and Ellie has begun to push me to go a little further each day.  (Does this make her a therapy dog?)  She has her predetermined routes around the neighborhood and guides me along them (although I sometimes veto her choices - I do have some say in what I feel up to!)

As I prepare for my next doctor visit and find out my return to work date, I am not sure who this will be harder on - me or Ellie.  I will miss my constant companion with her adoring looks of love.  And Ellie, she will once again be home alone all day when I return to work.  (Maybe she will be glad to get in a full days sleep again!)

I am thankful for my family, friends, faith, and the doctors and nurses whose diagnosis and skill got me through this unexpected and traumatic phase of my life.  I am especially grateful for my faithful companion - a furry, loveable, little ball of fluff named Ellie.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelation

I just finished the last book of the Bible. I think I need the help of someone wiser than me to interpret John’s dream, or prophecy, or warn...