Monday, January 13, 2020

Isaac, Jacob, Joseph and Moses...

I finished reading Genesis and Exodus.  Yeah!

Last time I checked in, I focused a lot on details that I had a hard time reconciling with the world as I know it.  There are more things I could question from a purely logistical standpoint, but I don't think I will.  I am going to accept that the Bible has some crazy stories in it.  Whether you believe the stories are historical fact or an attempt to explain why the world is as it is without the benefit of modern science or the historical references we have today, that is up to you.  (Many of the stories remind me of folktales from around the world - not scientifically accurate, but a good story with a hint of possibility.)  I think God, through these stories, was trying to explain the world in ways He thought the people of the time would understand - some facts mixed in with good story telling.

So, Isaac has two sons, Esau and Jacob.

The younger son, Jacob, plays some tricks on his father (with the help of his mother, Rebecca) and gets Isaac's birthright and blessing.  Even though Jacob was deceitful, God still says He is building His kingdom through the sons of Jacob.  (Coincidentally, many years later, when Joseph asks his father, Jacob, to bless his sons Jacob purposely gives the blessing of the first born to the younger son - sound familiar?)  God gives Jacob a new name, Israel.  (He likes to give new names, doesn't He?)  And in the rest of the Genesis Jacob is referred to by both names, bouncing back and forth between them. Just a little confusing.

Jacob has a lot of sons (and wives).

I was familiar with the story of Jacob and Leah, Jacob and Rachel, Jacob and his wives’ two slaves, Zilpah and Bilhah, all of whom he had children with.  His favorite child was Joseph.  (Remember Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat anyone?)  Joseph was chosen by God to lead the children of Israel and ended up living a good life in Egypt along with (through a complicated series of events) his father, brothers and their families.  Most memorable line by Joseph (when talking to his brothers):  You were intending to harm, but God intended it for good.  And with that, all is forgiven.

On to Exodus and Moses.

I actually knew many of the stories in Exodus.  The story of the midwives refusing to kill Hebrew baby boys, Moses being saved from death as an infant by being placed a basket for the Pharaoh's daughter to find, Moses being raised as an Egyptian, Moses and the burning bush, Moses and the plagues, Moses and the parting of the sea, Moses leading his people out of Egypt, God giving him the Ten Commandments and Moses smashing them in anger when he sees his people worshiping the golden calf.  (I keep picturing Charleston Heston in The Ten Commandments on my parents black and white console television.)

Here are some things I didn't know.

God gives Moses hugely specific details about the ark that will carry the Commandments (made me think of Raiders of the Lost Ark), the inner tent, the Tabernacle Tent, and the outer tent area.  He gave more specific detail on the clothing that was to be made for Aaron and descendants, who were to be named high priests.  And there is more detail on the sacrificial altars, basins, and procedures to be followed for consecration and sacrifice.  God wants gold, and jewels, and the finest linens in royal colors.

I was confused.

I didn't understand why God would demand such opulence be built in his honor.  I didn't like it.  I was reminded of touring the Vatican and the overwhelming feel of wealth and pageantry on display there.  I kept thinking of Jesus and his humble beginnings and had a hard time reconciling the two.  And then I talked to my daughter who wondered why I wouldn't think God was deserving of all the best things.  I needed some additional insight and research to understand what I felt...

I needed to keep reading.

Moses brings down the tablets, sees the people have already forgotten their promises to God (and it had only been forty days), and feels the anger God had expressed to him earlier well up inside himself.  Moses gathers the true believers and has them kill all those who worshiped the false god.  Then he goes back up the mountain to God again.  Last time, God told Moses He was a jealous God whose anger burned and now God says He is a compassionate God, slow to anger.  And God once again engraves the Ten Commandments on new stone tablets for Moses to take back down to his people. And then, the people start to build God's temple, per his instructions.

God was not forcing his people to build the Tabernacle or anything else.

It says, at the end of Exodus, the people brought what they had as they were willing.  That there was so much gold and other precious metals, so much fabric and threads of purple, blue and scarlet, so many gems and jewels, that Moses had to tell the people to stop bringing donations.  People wanted to honor God by doing their part to construct the Tabernacle tent.  I guess God knew what he was doing by providing the architectural design plans. (When I think about it, house plans usually list the types of wall coverings, flooring, fixtures, just like God's plans did.). God’s people wanted to honor Him in a special place.  They wanted to hold God above themselves by providing a place worthy of Him.  Did I just have a revelation?

On to Leviticus...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelation

I just finished the last book of the Bible. I think I need the help of someone wiser than me to interpret John’s dream, or prophecy, or warn...