Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Numbers is Long...

My plan was to finish reading the book of Numbers last week.

But, life got in the way.  Between work, a ruptured eardrum, doctor visits, trying to finish my book club book, preparing for my storytelling gig this week and a weekend trip to the mountains with friends... I just did not get nearly as far reading as I thought I would.  The good news is I am still on track to finish the Bible in a year as I am ahead of my schedule.  The bad news, I have very little to write about since I only read through chapter six.

What did I learn?

I took the time to refresh who exactly the Levites are since they play an important part in Numbers.  As a reminder (to you and to me) the Levites were the only ones to not worship the golden calf while Moses was up on the mountain talking to God.  Because of this, the Levites were allowed to live, but they did have to kill the friends and brothers who were worshiping the calf.  They hold a special place in God's plans.

I realized that Numbers took place about two years after Moses lead the Israelite's out of Egypt  I reviewed who the twelve sons of Jacob (renamed Israel by God) were as their descendants made up all the tribes of Israel.  Each son's descendants were part of their own tribe. (I guess some must have survived the wrath of Moses.) Each tribe will be given a very specific job to do.

As the name Numbers indicates, the beginning chapters talk about taking a census of the first born males in all the tribes.  This seemed to be for several reasons.  One, count first born men over twenty who would be part of an army.  (Is there a battle coming?)  Two, count the firstborn males over one month to determine a tax each tribe would have to pay to God, through Aaron.  Third, use these numbers to determine which tribe is assigned what location and job around the Tabernacle Tent.  (The Levites are the keepers of the Tent.)

There is a section on the purity of the camp which was a bit over the top to me.

First, ban anyone who is unclean from the camp. (Leviticus had all the rules in explicit detail on clean versus unclean, remember?)  Next, there is a detailed explanation of what the priest is to do if a woman is brought before him because she is suspected of being unfaithful to her husband (whether she really is or if her husband is just jealous and has no facts to back up his suspicions).  Of course, there are no repercussions if the wife suspects her husband is not faithful - women are still second class citizens.  (Do you think that bugs my twentieth century brain?  Yes, it does.)

Then on to the Nazarite vows.  I was a bit confused as to what this was.  After some research, I think I understand a little better.  The vow was taken by individuals who decided to voluntarily dedicate themselves to God (as opposed to Aaron and his sons who were chosen - they did not volunteer.)  Besides being voluntary, it can be done by either men or women, has a specific time frame with specific requirements and restrictions, and ends with a sacrificial offering.

Interestingly, the last thing I read was a blessing we still use today in my church.  I had no idea was from Numbers.

Numbers 6:24-26
     The Lord bless you and keep you;
     The Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you;
     The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.

See you next week with, hopefully, my thoughts on the rest of Numbers...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelation

I just finished the last book of the Bible. I think I need the help of someone wiser than me to interpret John’s dream, or prophecy, or warn...