Thursday, September 23, 2021

The Book of Acts

My daughter told me the book of Acts was written by Luke (of the Gospel Luke).

I can see that.  He begins Acts by saying, In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do...  The gospel of Luke begins in much the same way, ...since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus...

The biggest difference between the two books is that Luke researched Jesus' life, listening to testimony of many people who were actually there, but it was not a first hand account.  Luke actually travelled with Paul during his life as a disciple and was an actual witness to what was happening at the time.  He began Acts in third person, giving the facts of this young church as he either researched or witnessed. Then Luke starts to add "we" to his account, beginning with chapter sixteen, verse ten.  Was this done to add credibility to his account?  Was that when Luke first joined the church?  When he first joined John?  Or was it an unconscious change?

I had forgotten the story of Saul, who persecuted the new believers with zeal, followed by his unlikely conversion to one of the greatest proponents of the new church (which included a name change to Paul).  I couldn't remember where Paul had come from or why he was such an important person in spreading the Good News.  Now I know.  

Paul (Saul), was an influential figure with prominent Jewish lineage.  As such, his preaching was both knowledgeable (he knew the prophesies inside and out) but also disturbing to many Jews.  He could tell them how and why he began spreading the message of Jesus (and his story never changed).  He previously persecuted the members of The Way, and now he was an important, articulate teacher.  

He passionately believed without ever having seen Jesus, the man, in person.

Paul did what God asked of him, even when he knew it may bring his death.  He traveled around the land teaching and encouraging both Jews and Gentiles in the Way.  He went to Jerusalem (where they tried to kill him) and on to Rome (with a stop in Malta because of a terrible storm) where he continued to spread the word and encourage new Christians.

Paul's conviction and story never wavered, never changed. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelation

I just finished the last book of the Bible. I think I need the help of someone wiser than me to interpret John’s dream, or prophecy, or warn...