Wednesday, October 27, 2021

1 & 2 Timothy

Paul writes to Timothy, who appears to be young and in need of instruction and encouragement.

I don’t always like what Paul has to say. I wonder how much is reflecting his own prejudices and how much is truly from God. Times have changed; how does this affect the truth of what was written. Especially in terms of slaves, women and homosexuals. I have seen too many people use these (and similar) verses to persecute their fellow humans.

Slave owners pulled out All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect but ignored the parts that said masters should treat their slaves fairly and well. How does owning another human reconcile with love your neighbor? Paul clearly states slave traders are lawbreakers. How does homosexuality become equal to slave traders, murderers, and liars? What about mercy? What about love? Paul says I do not permit a woman to teach or hold authority over a man… (notice the “I”).  But from the beginning there were women prophets, women whom Jesus held in high regard (the resurrected Jesus first appeared to a woman, for goodness sake!) and women who are apostles of the new church (Pricilla had a home church and spread the good news). This doesn’t make sense to me.

But, Paul also has some instruction that truly comes from love—take care of the elderly and widows. Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels… be kind to everyone… 

Paul knows the end is near.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelation

I just finished the last book of the Bible. I think I need the help of someone wiser than me to interpret John’s dream, or prophecy, or warn...