Saturday, October 2, 2021

1 Corinthians

This is the book of the Bible with the love verses we all know from weddings. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud… Great reminders, and Paul seems very passionate about relaying the message of love.

But I feel like some of Paul’s personal prejudices also sneak into this book.

He says that he wishes everyone would be single like him, for that is the best. But, grudgingly, acknowledges that some may want to marry. He talks about sexual immorality, marriage, adultery - problems that must have been on the rise in this community.

Paul addresses many of the things the people of Corinth are arguing about…the basics of their new and fragile church. I think that is the main purpose of the book, to stop the arguments and the wandering from the truth of Jesus and his resurrection.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Revelation

I just finished the last book of the Bible. I think I need the help of someone wiser than me to interpret John’s dream, or prophecy, or warn...